If you’re a relatively savvy consumer of health information, chances are you’ve heard about cocoa flavanols and their amazing health benefits. Perhaps you’ve even done some research to see how you can work cocoa flavanols into your diet (and maybe we're just a tiny bit disappointed to learn that gobbling up a ton of dark chocolate is not, in fact, a good way to include cocoa flavanols in your daily regimen!)
The great news is there are cocoa flavanol supplements guaranteed to contain high concentrations of cocoa flavanols. But among supplements, is there a difference between cocoa flavanols capsules and powders?
You’ve come to the right place to learn about the “whys” of getting your daily cocoa flavanols, plus the “how” that’ll help you choose the best cocoa flavanol supplement for you!
What are Cocoa Flavanols and Flavonoids?
A quick primer on all things cocoa flavanols and flavonoids:
- Flavonoids are a group of compounds found in the plant-based foods we eat (or drink)! For example, grapes, nuts, citrus, tea, soymilk, red wine, and cocoa are all flavonoid-containing foods.
- Flavanols are one of the six different classes of flavonoids.
- The unique mixture of naturally-occurring flavanols found in the cacao plant is called “cocoa flavanols”—and these flavanols offer particular benefits to your health!
Now that you’re up to speed on flavonoids and flavanols you might be wondering … how can cocoa flavanols support better health (and if I can’t get them from dark chocolate, then where do I turn)?!
How Do Cocoa Flavanols Support Health?
When it comes to smart ways to support your body’s healthy blood flow, it’s hard to beat cocoa flavanols—and we have more than 20 years of scientific research to prove it.
One of the ways cocoa flavanols benefit your entire body is by increasing its natural supply of nitric oxide, a super-molecule that relaxes your blood vessel walls and promotes healthy blood pressure.
And why are relaxed blood vessels and healthy blood pressure such a good thing? Because they allow blood to circulate more smoothly throughout your body, ensuring that organs, muscles, and tissues get the high level of oxygen and nutrients that they need. That’s a great way to guarantee that vital organs like your heart and brain stay nourished—and performing their best.
Here are just a few ways cocoa flavanols support optimal health:
- Supporting a healthy cardiovascular system
- Helping maintain healthy blood pressure
- Improving endothelial function
- Supporting brain health and cognitive function
Thanks to the proven boost in nitric oxide, your entire body—every single organ, muscle, tissue, and cell— can experience the benefits of cocoa flavanols.
Why Use CocoaVia™ Powder and Capsules?
Here’s the thing about cocoa flavanol products: the quantity and quality of flavanols can vary wildly from product to product, depending on the quality of the bean, and how it was handled and processed.
Cocoa flavanols are super sensitive, and not in a “get their feelings hurt easily” way. The beans must be handled very, very carefully when they’re harvested and processed, otherwise their flavanol-goodness will be destroyed.
So that dark chocolate you’ve been counting on for the health benefits? It’s still a delicious treat, but chances are its health-boosting flavanols didn’t survive processing.
That’s where CocoaVia™ products come in. And not to brag, but CocoaVia™ happens to have the highest concentration (guaranteed!) of cocoa flavanols per serving available in a supplement. Thanks to our scientists at Mars, who developed the proprietary Cocoapro® process, we’ve been testing our product every step of the way to make sure every serving has the highest quality and concentration of cocoa flavanols. And don’t just take our word for it: ConsumerLab named CocoaVia™ their Top Rated Flavanol Product for highest flavanol level and overall quality!
Now that we’ve established you can be confident that you’re getting the highest quality and the highest concentration of cocoa flavanols by choosing our cocoa flavanol products, let’s talk cocoa flavanol capsules versus cocoa flavanol powdered mixes so you can decide which one is best for you.
Why Take Cocoa Flavanol Capsules?
Cocoa flavanol capsules are a convenient way to get your daily serving of cocoa flavanols for a heart, brain, and whole-body boost:
- If you’re on the go, capsules are easy to take in your purse, gym bag, briefcase, or backpack.
- Vegan? So are CocoaVia™ capsules!
- Two capsules daily = 450 mg of cocoa flavanols—a concentration that has proven benefits for your heart and brain.
The trick to getting the most from your CocoaVia™ cocoa flavanol capsules is creating a habit of taking them every day, so be sure to work them into your regular routine (with breakfast, for example) and put them in a place that’ll help you remember to take them!
If you’re someone who craves the convenience of capsules, but struggles to swallow them, the Annals of Family Medicine recommends the “lean forward technique” to help them go down easier!
Why Choose Cocoa Flavanol Powders?
If you’re a fan of upping the health quotient in your coffee, protein shakes, smoothies, yogurt, or tea (hot or iced!) by stirring in a supplement, CocoaVia™ powdered drink mixes are for you! Here’s why you might choose our powdered drink mix to get your 450 mg of flavanols a day:
- Lots of tasty flavors (Dark Chocolate, anyone?)
- No added sugar, preservatives, or artificial flavors
- Our Cran-raspberry flavor mixes directly into your cup of water for a boost of flavor that will help you perform at your best (making it a perfect addition to your pre-workout beverage)
- Our stick packs make this option easy for on-the-go—just throw a packet into your work bag or gym bag before you head out the door every morning.
And there’s no need to limit yourself to drinks—foods like Greek yogurt and oatmeal are other great and tasty ways to enjoy the health benefits of cocoa flavanols.
Be sure to check out our cocoa flavanol recipes page for lots of great ways to add 450 mg of cocoa flavanols to your daily routine!
Benefits of Using CocoaVia™
Whether you use CocoaVia’s cocoa flavanol capsule supplement or cocoa flavanol powdered drink mix, you can be confident you’re getting the highest quality and highest-concentration supplement on the market. Beyond the many health benefits of CocoaVia, there are many other practical benefits of using CocoaVia™:
- They are convenient
- There are lots of options—from capsules to different flavors in our powdered drink mixes
- It’s made with a plant-based, proprietary cocoa extract derived from fresh, natural cocoa beans
- They are acceptable for vegetarians and vegans
- Contain no added sugars, preservatives, or artificial flavors
- You can choose different quantities, and even subscribe to save!
- 100% money-back guarantee